History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Blue Mound

This is a landmark roughly 10 miles northeast of Bartlesville near the eastern edge of the county. It is a large bald hill with a rock ledge on the east and rock protrusions on the southeast. A cold spring once flowed through the year on its extreme northwest edge, making the spot a favorite hideout for outlaws.

One of Tom Mix's 300-plus movies was made here. The Blue Mound or Scudder one-room schoolhouse was built here in 1914 for $900. It was moved to another location after World War I.

Blue Mound iss located on ranch land that Jack Montgomery purchased in 1935. His granddaughters, Martha Mahan and Sally Painter, later shared ownership of the ranch, as reported in 2008 by Martha's son, James Mahan.

In 2020, Becky Barham-Russell reported that the Whitmire family had purchased the land over five years earlier, with the Whitmire Ranch extending almost to Lenapah.

Sherman Moore & Jim Todd

Blue Mound was also reportedly once part of W.S. Moore and Jim Todd's 50,000 acres of ranch holdings. Moore came to the area in a covered wagon in 1892 at age 16. He became a lineman, which was a cowboy who traveled from camp to camp to track stray cattle. He worked for the Brent & Todd Cattle Company of Washington and Nowata counties. In 1929 Brent, believing he had gone bankrupt in the stock market crash, killed himself by drinking acid and jumping into Turkey Creek. W.S. Moore and Todd split the company's 50,000 acre ranch between them. In the 1930s, both Prairie Song and the Doenges Ranch were known as the Moore Ranch, which Moore's son, Sherman Monsieur Moore, had taken over. He passed away in 1994, just a mile from his birthplace.

W.S. Moore's granddaughter, Marilyn Moore Tate, inherited the ranch in 1994. She and her husband, Kenneth Tate, gradually built an 1800s pioneer village they named Prairie Song on their property, which in 2019 encompassed two sections plus another 147 acres, 28 ponds, and a mile-and-a-half stretch of Hogshooter Creek. Prairie Song has 30 buildings of Arkansas "bull pine" and Missouri red and white oak and has been restocked with Texas longhorns.

Blue Mound

Washington County Carrel