History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Glenoak

This was a stage stop along the trail from Bartlesville to Nowata, and straddles the county line. Emma Chaney, the mail clerk in Silas and Mary Upchurch's store, named it when the post office opened on February 13, 1906. The town was platted in 1909 but never incorporated. There was a school in the neighborhood, also called Glenoak, built alongside Hogshooter Creek. The creek's name reflects how Indians once shot wild hogs in the area. The Glenoak Oil Field was about two miles south of the town in 1911. The post office closed on December 15, 1932 and the town plat was vacated in August, 1949. The Glenoak Methodist Church is pictured below.

Glenoak Methodist Church

Washington County Carrel