History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Hogshooter

(formerly Truskett, Jordan)

There are actually three different town sites in this area dating to 1900, 1917, and 1920. The residents moved with the various petroleum operations in the surrounding Hogshooter gas field, reportedly named after a Cherokee family and/or local Indians who once shot wild hogs along Hogshooter Creek. The Hogshooter gas field opened in 1907 and was the first significant discovery of "dry" gas in Oklahoma. Dry gas is that which is not produced in association with crude oil, while "wet" gas generally is found with oil.

According to Linda D. Wilson, in The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, in the early 1890s Charles B. Rhodes (later a U.S. marshal) taught a subscription school in Indian Territory known as Hogshooter, near Hogshooter Creek in present Washington County. Among his diverse group were Indian women and young men who were fugitives from the law. White as well as Cherokee, Delaware, and Quapaw pupils also attended the school. Rhodes accepted cash as well as produce, which he bartered for other items that he needed. Students sat on pine planks, and pine boards painted with lampblack served as a blackboard. With plentiful wildlife in the area, mischievous boys hung dead opossums on the school walls, much to Rhodes’s annoyance.

Jim Truskett was here in 1894 and built a school which operated in various buildings until it was merged with the one in Oglesby in 1958. Jordan's grocery store was here by 1917. Nearby were several natural gasoline plants.

Resident Curt Johnson reported that the Kansas Natural Gas Plant housed over 200 workers at the carbon black plant east of Hogshooter Creek, and the old foundations are still standing east of road 4020 on road West 2300. When the gas in that area lost pressure, the town moved farther west on the old Tom Sears place, and later moved north to the location of the Truskee school, property later owned by David Bilby. Later a rich oil pool developed on the west side of the creek and the Wolverine Oil Company established another gas plant in section 30-26-14. They had a plant office of red tile and a row of worker homes.

While Hogshooter never had its own post office, the Bartlesville office operated a branch there on land later owned by Gail Inman. In the late 1980s Fred Inman stored hay in the building and it caught fire and burned. The post office step today resides on Curt Johnson's front porch.


Washington County Carrel