History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Little Verdigris

Just south of the present-day Oak Park neighborhood of Bartlesville, where Butler Creek joins the Caney River, was the site of Butler's Indian trading post. Butler established the Little Verdigris post office here in 1859, but left to join the confederates during the Civil War and never returned. The post office, bearing the original name for the Caney River, closed on July 9, 1866.


Washington County Carrel