History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Oglesby

This small trading settlement was established in 1898 and named for Tom Oglesby, a local rancher. There was a post office from November 13, 1900 until August 15, 1933, and the Prairie Oil and Gas Company's compressor plant was located here.

A tornado in 1938 severely damaged the town. The two teachers led 70 schoolchildren out of the frame school building to shelter in a ditch across the road. The tornado collapsed the school, but only four children were hurt, with injuries ranging from lacerations to a bruised hand.

Oglesby Frame School

The Works Progress Administration built a new rock school, which still stands but was abandoned when the district was annexed to Caney Valley in 1978, bringing an end to the Oglesby Colts team. In 1979, ten square miles on the north end of the former district were re-annexed to Bartlesville.

Oglesby School

Photo © Ian Swart of Fletcher, OK; Link


Washington County Carrel