History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Post Oak

(aka Olsenville)

Hulder Olsen and family settled here on the north side of Post Oak Creek in 1891, about three miles north of what would become Dewey, and opened a small store in one room of their home. They remained about ten years. A small building was moved in from Kansas across the road and Charley Squire started a subscription school. In 1898 he moved to Bartlesville as a rural mail carrier. Another school was established in 1905 in a building farther north and operated until it burned in 1908. A third school was built in the former location of the original school building, it expanded to two rooms in 1915, but burned in 1917. A new building opened in 1918 and the school eventually became part of the Dewey school system with the 1918 building abandoned in 1930 and the schoolchildren bussed to Dewey.


Washington County Carrel