History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Ringo

Named for George Whitfield Ringo, who settled here in 1874, this town about three miles north and one mile east of Ramona later boomed and then promptly disappeared. Ringo was originally along the Caney River where it made a large double-S bend east of modern Ochelata and northeast of modern Ramona. Ringo and his wife had five sons and five daughters moved west, more onto the prairie, after their first flood. William Scott Walker operated a sawmill here from 1887 until 1899, cutting and stacking logs along the river and then floating them downstream with the spring floods. Walker had a grist mill and sold grown corn every Tuesday and Saturday. Charles Keeler operated a post office from December 12, 1889 until February 15, 1900 with Ira Hollingsworth as postmaster.

1892 brought a severe spring flood, and the town had peaked in 1898 with the sawmill and a drug store, two hotels, blacksmith, three general stores, school, horse racecourse, and a Farmers' Alliance Hall. The Alliance Hall was a community building which served as a clubhouse, church, school, library, and recreation hall. The Farmers' Alliance, essentially a farmer union, originated in Kansas. Three teachers taught school at the Alliance Hall: Evie Ringo, Mrs. John Purnell, and Mrs. Humphrey Donaldson. When the Santa Fe railroad bypassed the town in 1899, virtually everyone packed up and moved to either Ramona or Twin Mounds. The school continued to operate for several years. In later years the hall was sold and torn down. All that remains of Ringo is Charles Keeler's rooming house.


Washington County Carrel