History of Bartlesville & Washington County, Oklahoma

Advanced Search


Washington County, OK

Twin Mounds

(formerly Austin)

These two mounds are a prominent landmark south of Ochelata. Schools operated at this trading community from 1888 until 1902, which was situated on the old trail leading from the Cherokee Nation into Kansas. A post office south of here called Austin began operating in 1895 and was later moved here; it closed in 1900. The area was abandoned when the Santa Fe railroad stop was placed in Ochelata. A trailer park is currently located just south of the mounds.


Washington County Carrel